Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

My 46 lb. dog may have eaten one Aricept 23mg, about 1 - 2

Customer Question

My 46 lb. dog may have eaten one Aricept 23mg, about 1 - 2 hrs ago.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Stella, & conjecture on age...acts 2yo, shelter said 4.
JA: I'm 40 . Forty something.
Customer: Yes, I remember being 40-something! Thieves meds were in a bag...samples given to my husband, who died 1 yr ago.
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Stella,?
Customer: Those!
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. John replied 7 months ago.
Hello. Thanks for writing in. My name is***** and I would be happy to help you. I am not set up to do phone calls but would be happy to answer any questions you do have online. This is actually a medication that has showed some promise in veterinary medicine for treating cognitive dysfunction in dogs. The dose she ingested would be a normal dose. It would be very unlikely for any serious side effects to occur after one dose. I would monitor for any vomiting, diarrhea, lack of appetite or mild abdominal cramping. Those symptoms, if mild, should be acceptable and last no more than 12-24 hours. If she is vomiting a lot, has bloody stool, has severe abdominal pain, seems dizzy, is very lethargic, has any tremors or any change in behavior (i.e.; agression); I would have her seen by your vet. These are uncommon to rare side effects in humans, so I wouldn't expect to see them, but just keep an eye on her. This is one of those medications that usually requires chronic dosing or a large overdose to cause problems. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. Hope this helps. My goal is to make sure that you get all your question answered and all the information you need. If you are satisfied with my answer, PLEASE RATE IT. Rating it is the only way I get credit for helping you. If you feel like it is not helpful to you, or if there is more information you need, please respond back to me before rating. Realize that our conversation is not intended to diagnose or treat a condition. There has to be a valid veterinary-client-patient relationship established with an exam, according to law. You should always follow up with your vet.