Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

My dog has a very bad cough she went rays and hart scan

Customer Question

My dog has a very bad cough she went for x rays and hart scan but they can't find out what the problem is. Every time she drink water she cough. And she also have a breath smell bad when she cough.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 9 months ago.
I'm sorry to hear of this with your poodle. I would be pleased to review the X-rays if you can upload them to our conversation. If you need help doing so, please contact***@******.***/My primary concern is collapsing trachea in a 10 year old poodle who coughs when she drinks and which can be missed on X-rays if her neck weren't hyperflexed and extended as part of her X-ray series. I can see that she's currently being treated with an antibiotic (Synulox), a heart drug (Vetmedin), and a glucocorticosteroid (prednisolone) yet no diagnosis has been made. The combination of those drugs is rarely appropriate and so referral to a specialist veterinary internist should be considered - particularly in light of the fact that her vets appear to be stymied.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I will collect the x rays on Monday from the Southern Cross Veterinary Clinic. I really need to find out what is wrong because this started last year September She is eating very well no problem with that. It is like something is stuck and she tries to cough it out. Very dry cough.
I understand and I agree with you. There should be a diagnosis by 8 months after the onset of symptoms. It can be a challenge differentiating a cough arising from the pulmonary system from that arising from the cardiovascular system but in general an increased respiratory rate (greater than 30 breaths/minute while asleep or at rest) plus an enlarged right atrium of the heart identifies a cough associated with heart failure. Otherwise, we need to look at the airways - the trachea as I mentioned as well as the lungfields. I'll watch for your next post.
I'm just following up on our conversation about Vlooi. How is everything going?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I need to send the scans but the send is not open I have uploaded the scans
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Hope this will help you vlooi is not doing well the last two days cough is very bad
Thank you. I see an ultrasound image (echocardiogram) but no X-rays. I regret that I can't assess Vlooi's condition for you from that one image.