Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in surgery and internal medicine.

I am not sure...I think she swallowed a grass sticker...we

Customer Question

HI....I am not sure...I think she swallowed a grass sticker...we have the ones that are live "V" shaped and there are a bunch of them. It started when I gave her a can of food instead of her normal dry food, and I think she ate grass due to an upset tummy and she ate the new growth in the yard and the stickers are up and growing...they have not dried and hardened yet. She is eating and drinking...but sounds like she is choking every time she eats anything. She is playful and is chasing her ball like normal...but she is sticking close by like she doesn't feel good. I am getting worried.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if the dog will be able to digest that. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the dog?
Customer: no...we just moved to CA from MN
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 5 months ago.
Good Morning and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question. I have practiced in CA all my life and know all too well about the foxtails or stickers you are referring to. They can hide within the tonsils and cause this type of coughing but in most cases, it does not stop. Since your gal is eating and drinking, I believe this is most likely Tracheobronchitis or Kennel Cough. This is a very contagious disease that causes a hacking cough so much so that it appears as if they have something stuck in their throat. This is often contracted at a kennel, groomer, or vets office because this disease is air borne. Since this disease is air borne, your dog can pick this up anywhere. Luckily, this is a self limiting disease that will eventually go away on its own. Give your dog 1 teaspoon of Robitussin DM per 20 pounds of your dog's weight given every 8 hrs. This will calm down the cough so your gal is more comfortable. It is best to have your vet examine your gal to be sure there is not something else causing this such as an infection or a foxtail caught in her tonsils. This is less likely but certainly possible. Does that make sense to you? Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you. Sincerely, ***** *****
Hi Nicole,

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Loretta