Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience

My 13 year old dogs kidneys have been getting progressively

Customer Question

My 13 year old dogs kidneys have been getting progressively worse over time. He recently went on a antibiotic Incase of infection and had his blood rechecked and the kidney values were higher. My options were to either administer fluids for a week then do another recheck or do an ultrasound to see if fluid is backing up or if there's a growth like cancer. Would it be best to do the ultrasound or fluid injection first? If I do the fluid first and there's a growth or fluid backing up would the extra fluid make everything worse?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. John replied 5 months ago.
Hello. Thanks for writing in. My name is***** and I would be happy to help you. I am not set up to do phone calls but would be happy to answer any questions you do have online. I think that regardless, the ultrasound would be a good idea, but the fluid therapy would be necessary to bring the kidney enzymes down. Fluid would only be backing up in the kidneys if there was something obstructing the ureter. That is most often a ureter stone, but ureter cancer is possible (just not common). In order for the kidney enzymes to start increasing due to kidney failure, 75% of the kidney function has to be gone. That means that both kidneys would be affected. It would be unlikely to have a ureter stone or cancer affecting both kidneys, so the fluid that backs up would still be filtered by the other kidney. The extra fluid given would still be processed. A tumor in one of the kidneys shouldn't cause back up in fluid in the kidney. It may obstruct fluid getting into the kidney if anything. With a 13 year old dog, though, chances are the kidney failure is just related to degenerative changes. The only reason to do the ultrasound first is if finding a tumor in the kidney would mean that you would euthanize him. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. Hope this helps. My goal is to make sure that you get all your question answered and all the information you need. If you are satisfied with my answer, PLEASE RATE IT. Rating it is the only way I get credit for helping you. If you feel like it is not helpful to you, or if there is more information you need, please respond back to me before rating. Realize that our conversation is not intended to diagnose or treat a condition. There has to be a valid veterinary-client-patient relationship established with an exam, according to law. You should always follow up with your vet.