Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience

My son puppy was found chewing on a small AA battery she

Customer Question

My son puppy was found chewing on a small AA battery she punctured it her behavior is fine but the only thing is she have diarrahia what can we give her she is 22 lbs and french bulldog, please advise, thank you
***** *****
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 5 months ago.
Maria, those AA batteries contain potassium hydroxide or sodium hydroxide. If punctured and the compounds come in contact with tissue, liquefaction necrosis (cell death) occurs, resulting in deeply penetrating ulcers. Think of it as coming in contact with lye (sodium hydroxide). A small puncture isn't likely to cause much damage but her mouth should be thoroughly flushed with copious amounts of water and inspected for "burns" which might have to be addressed by her vet. Diarrhea isn't expected and so I would be looking for another cause of it. Diluting any chemical that might have been ingested by overfeeding and offering tasty liquids such as milk, cream, broths, and bouillons is how we address this toxicity. An over the counter antacid such as famotidine (Pepcid) dosed at 0.25 mg/lb and repeated in 12 hours should be protective and comforting for her.Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.