Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

I gave him safeguard dewormer Wednesday night and last night

Customer Question

I gave him safeguard dewormer Wednesday night and last night he had diarrhea. Is that normal? He also vomited a little this morning. But his activity level is still high energy.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the dog eat anything unusual?
Customer: Not that I am aware of.
JA: What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Tyson - 10 months
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Tyson?
Customer: I've only had him a couple of weeks - so I don't know much of his history.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 7 months ago.
Welcome! Thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian and I will be assisting you today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice. 1- Any other symptoms? 2- How long since he vomited?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
He only vomited once and that was about 4 hours ago. Before that he was up during the night a few times with diarrhea. He was playing with the other dogs as normal and at his breakfast.
Friend, generally dogs tolerate very well Safeguard. However, it is possible that some dogs do develop gastrointestinal symptoms like vomiting or diarrhea. Or, there could be another cause unrelated to the safeguard like: Dietary indiscretion, ingestion of a foreign body, infections, or even part of a systemic disease to name a few causes. This is what you can do:1- Do not give things like Pepto Bismol or imodium. 2- No food or water for 8-12 hours, need to give his gastrointestinal tract time to rest. Then, offer small amount of water followed by a diet of rice (75%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (25%) until the stool is back to normal then wean him back into is his regular diet. Keep him indoors in a cool room and no exercise when fasting. 3- Supplement with a probiotic (fortiflora), these are friendly bacteria that help with regularity. You can buy this over the counter in any pet store. 4- If after doing the above you do not see improvement within 24 hours I would have him checked by your family veterinarian for a hands on examination. My goal is to provide you with excellent service - I hope I've provided the information you were seeking, if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done.