How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. John Your Own Question
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Category: Dog Veterinary
Satisfied Customers: 10219
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588
Type Your Dog Veterinary Question Here...
Dr. John is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My Yorkshire terrier has eaten about 8 chocolates is it safe

Customer Question

My Yorkshire terrier has eaten about 8 chocolates is it safe ,what should I do ?
Submitted: 7 months ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. John replied 7 months ago.
Hello. Thanks for writing in. My name is***** and I would be happy to help you. I am not set up to do phone calls but would be happy to answer any questions you do have online. In order to give an informative and concise answer, it may take a few minutes before I respond back to you, so don't be alarmed if you don't hear back immediately if you have responded back to me within 10 minutes of my response. I do have a couple more questions, though, to see if I can better assess your situation.What kind of chocolate did she eat?How big were the chocolates that she ate?How much does she weigh?How long ago did she consume the chocolate?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Milk ,half an hour ago , he weighs about 16lb,chocs size 1inch by half an inch by half inch thick,about 45 grams
Expert:  Dr. John replied 7 months ago.
Each chocolate was 45 grams?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
no 45 grams in total
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
any answer ?
Expert:  Dr. John replied 7 months ago.
Thanks for the information. 45 grams isn't much for a 16 lb dog. I tend to worry more if was over 60 grams. It is possible that he may have some mild vomiting or diarrhea, but that should be it. If you notice multiple episodes of vomiting, diarrhea for more than 1 day, bloody stool, increased agitation, hyperactivity, increased panting or increased drinking/urination; I would have him evaluated by your vet. Otherwise, he should be okay. If you want to ingest vomiting with 1 tablespoon (15 mls) of 3% hydrogen peroxide; it shouldn't hurt but may be unnecessary. At 1 hour out, you may still get some of the chocolate out. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. Hope this helps. My goal is to make sure that you get all your question answered and all the information you need. If you are satisfied with my answer, PLEASE RATE IT. Rating it is the only way I get credit for helping you. If you feel like it is not helpful to you, or if there is more information you need, please respond back to me before rating. Realize that our conversation is not intended to diagnose or treat a condition. There has to be a valid veterinary-client-patient relationship established with an exam, according to law. You should always follow up with your vet.
Expert:  Dr. John replied 7 months ago.
Hi,

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. John

Related Dog Veterinary Questions