Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

JA: . What is your issue regarding? Customer: Double

Customer Question

Hi
JA: Hi. What is your issue regarding?
Customer: Double dose of phenobarbital
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What seems to be the problem with the dog?
Customer: My wife gave dose earlier and I didn't know and gave him dose when I got home
JA: Where does the dog seem to hurt?
Customer: No complaints. Just worried about double dose
JA: Can you see anything that looks wrong or different?
Customer: Not right now
JA: Is the dog eating normally?
Customer: Hasn't eaten tonight
JA: The Veterinarian will know if the dog will be able to digest that. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the dog?
Customer: Acting normal just want to make sure we don't need to go to er
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 7 months ago.
Welcome! Thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian and I will be assisting you today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice. 1- How much does he weigh? 2- How many milligrams was given in each dose?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
60lbs 97.2 3/4 of a pill
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Need to know if it's a toxic or lethal dose
I will calculate the dose but I need more information, is the 97.2 mcg, gr, mg?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Anyone there?
Yes, I am here. I am waiting your response. I will calculate the dose but I need more information, is the 97.2 mcg, gr, mg? Please let me know (see the label).
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Mg
Please give me a few minutes to calculate the dose and write your response. Thank you.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Thank you
Friend, if he was given 97.2 mg 3/4 of a tablet twice based on his weight this comes out to a dose of 5.4mg/kg; this dose will Not be toxic or fatal; it is still within therapeutic range. He may experience some sedation otherwise he will be fine. Just to be on the side of caution, observe him for the next 12 hours, if he becomes lethargic to the point where he is having difficulty walking or changes in respiration I would have him checked by ER veterinarian; not likely for this to happen but just so you know what to look for. My goal is to provide you with excellent service - I hope I've provided the information you were seeking, if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Peter