Doc Sara
Doc Sara, Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a dog and cat veterinarian with a lifetime of experience in our family veterinary hospital.
23511967

My dog has parvo and he's going on his 5th day what can we

Customer Question

My dog has parvo and he's going on his 5th day what can we give him to help him move along and kick the sickness
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is wrong with your dog?
Customer: He goes outside and use the bathroom and he walks around sometimes he has a fever but he just lays around most of the time he looks like blood out of his butt butt I tried to give him other things he's on an IV right now he takes IV 3 times a day 200 is what they give me and he's on amoxicillin and he takes that and he also takes an aspirin for a fever every 12 hours he's not like he can't walk because he does walk but what else can I give him to help him to eat because he won't eat for And he is 8 mos old we just got him2to weeks ago
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about your dog?
Customer: No just what I said
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Doc Sara replied 8 months ago.
Hi there, I'm Dr. Sara. I'm a licensed veterinarian who works exclusively with dogs and cats. I'm so sorry to hear that your pup has parvo. I know that it's a nasty disease and very stressful to manage. I'll do my best to help. I see that he's getting fluids (probably subcutaneous - in between the shoulder blades under the skin?), amoxicillin, and aspirin. Did the vet suggest the aspirin? My concern there is that dogs who are dehydrated are more likely to have kidney damage from nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory medications like aspirin, so I would avoid it in my patients. It's likely that he is dehydrated from both his lack of intake and his continued diarrhea. Most veterinarians also would treat with a medication called metronidazole with is an antibiotic with anti-inflammatory properties that can help tremendously with diarrhea. A high quality dog-specific probiotic like Purina's FortiFlora is also a good idea to help reestablish his "good bacteria" in his gut. If he won't eat, you may have to syringe/dropper feed him at least an electrolyte solution like pedialyte or a high calorie supplement like Nutrical. I also always treat my parvo patients with anti-nausea medications because they usually are quite nauseous, even if they're not vomiting. If he's just not interested in his dog food he might be interested in some bland diet which is boiled white rice and boiled chicken breast. Unfortunately with parvo there is nothing that we can do specifically for the virus - it has to run its course. Our job is to try to support him with medications to treat his symptoms until the virus runs its course. Most dogs are sick enough that they would benefit from hospitalization and IV fluids and medications. If that's not an option, I would discuss the above medication suggestions with your vet, as it seems that there are a few things that can still be added to his treatment plan.Please let me know what questions I can handle for you.~Dr. Sara ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------My goal is to provide you with the most complete and accurate “five star” answer. If my answer isn’t what you were expecting, it’s incomplete, or you have more questions PLEASE REPLY to let me know what information you are looking for BEFORE giving me a negative rating! If my answer has been helpful to you, please show me by giving me a favorable rating. Thank you so much :)