Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

My 15 pound and 20 pound Pomsky ate about 7 heart gard doses

Customer Question

My 15 pound and 20 pound Pomsky ate about 7 heart gard doses not sure who ate what
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Gunnar and Oliver. Gunnar is 10 months and Oliver is 6 months
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Gunnar?
Customer: No
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 7 months ago.
Welcome! Thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian and I will be assisting you today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice. 1- What weight category was the heartgard? 2- How long since they ate it? 3- Do you have hydrogen peroxide 3%?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Weight was for 0-25 pounds, about 15-25 minutes
I am not sure if they have hydro peroxide because they chewed up the box too
Did they swallowed the box or part of it?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Maybe a little pieces
Please give me a few minutes to type your answer. Thank you.
Friend, of the ingredients in heartgard the main concern is the ivermectin. If we pretend the worst case scenario in which the smaller dog (15 lbs) took all 7 tablets this will come out to a dose of 70 mcg/kg, we really don't see toxicity with single doses below 1,000 mcg/kg. So, regarding the medications your dogs will be fine; this will not be toxic for them. The other concern is actual box itself; if they ate part of the box we need to be concern about an obstruction. But, if the pieces were small and only a few it is very likely they will be able to pass it in the stool. This is what you can do: 1- Change their diet for the next 3 days to rice (75%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (25%). The idea is for the rice to help move the pieces of the box out in the feces while protecting the intestinal tract. 2- If at any point you see the following symptoms: lethargy, anorexia, vomiting, constipated or diarrhea, etc. follow up immediately with a veterinarian. These are all signs of a possible obstruction of the intestinal tract. In the meantime, observe and change diet as above then wean back into regular My goal is to provide you with excellent service - I hope I've provided the information you were seeking, if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done.
Hi Angela,

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Peter