Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience

My dog just ate about 2 to 4 dark chocolate covered almonds

Customer Question

My dog just ate about 2 to 4 dark chocolate covered almonds -- he weigh around 16 pounds -do I need to do anything?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if your dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Willie, aged approx 1 1/2 yrs
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Willie?
Customer: no --
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 5 months ago.
No, Willie might need a talking to but almonds aren't toxic and there wasn't nearly enough dark chocolate coating those almonds to intoxicate Willie with the theobromine in chocolate which can cause vomiting, agitation, and tremors if ingested in sufficient amount. As with ingesting any unusual food, transient gastrointestinal distress in the form of inappetence, vomiting and/or diarrhea may arise. There's no need to induce emesis or treat in any manner. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?