Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.

My dog ate some dirt in the backyard that my husband had buried

Customer Question

My dog ate some dirt in the backyard that my husband had buried a small amount of old cooking oil in. She would not eat her dinner and she is shaking (which she does whenever she is scared like when it thunders). She is a Chihuahua/ Sheltie mix about 15 lbs. She obviously doesn't feel well because she is usually active and she is sleeping.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 5 months ago.
Hello, my name is***** and I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian. I am sorry to hear that your pup ingested dirt laced with old cooking oil.Oil is all fat, and especially if she is a pup that doesn't usually get a lot of table scraps eating a high fat food can predispose to pancreatitis.The other problem is that the dirt she ingested is an irritant to the gastrointestinal tract, and if she ate enough could cause a blockage.Finally old oil can be rancid (spoiled) and that can cause a horrible bacterial enteritis.No wonder she doesn't feel well. Her shaking and severe lethargy are both probably related to severe abdominal cramping and pain. I would not force her to eat as she is very likely to vomit if you tryTo try and settle her stomach today you can give either:1) Pepcid-ac (famotidine) at a dose of one half of a 10mg tablet per 10 to 20 pounds of body weight every 12 hours.OR2) Prilosec (omeprazole) at a dose of one quarter of a 20mg tablet per 10 to 20 pounds of body weight every 24 hours.
These will reduce stomach acid and could help settle her stomachs. Either one is quite safe and can be used for a few days. I would pick up all food and water for now since anything on her stomach may cause her to vomit.In 2 to 3 hours you can offer small amounts of water to drink or ice cubes to lick.If she handles that well they can have small amounts several more times tonight.If there is no vomiting overnight then feed a homemade bland diet of 1/3 boiled, lean hamburger or boiled, white, skinless chicken, all fats drained off the meat, and 2/3 boiled, plain, white rice. Add 1-2 tablespoons of canned pumpkin, (not pie filling, just pumpkin), to each meal for fiber to help push the dirt through and decrease its irritant effects, especially if you are seeing any blood or mucous in her stools.If later tonight she starts vomiting, has a tense painful belly, refuses to eat tomorrow, or runs a fever (more than 103F rectally) then that can signify pancreatitis or an obstruction and then she should be seen by a veterinarian immediately.Please let me know if you have any further questions.
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 5 months ago.
Hello, I wanted to make sure that you didn't have any further questions for me, and I'd like to know how things turned out for your pup. If you could give me an update that would be great, thank you, ***** *****