Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience

Dog ate a small amount of Preen killer. JA: I'm sorry

Customer Question

Dog ate a small amount of Preen weed killer.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Not showing any adverse effects. Was probably 1/2 cup at most.
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the dog?
Customer: Quinn he's 8 and weighs 80 lbs
JA: What is the dog's name?
Customer: Nope he's healthy and very active.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 5 months ago.
The active ingredient in Preen - trifluralin - is not acutely toxic to test animals by oral, dermal or inhalation routes of exposure. Nausea and severe gastrointestinal discomfort may occur after eating trifluralin, however. The amount of a chemical that is lethal to one-half (50%) of experimental animals fed the material is referred to as its acute oral lethal dose fifty, or LD50. The oral LD50 for technical trifluralin in rats is greater than 10,000 mg/kg, in mice is greater than 5,000 mg/kg, and in dogs, rabbits and chickens is greater than 2,000 mg/kg. However, certain formulated products which contain trifluralin may be more toxic than the technical material itself. For example, the oral LD50 for Treflan TR-10 in rats is >500 mg/kg. The dermal LD50 for technical trifluralin in rabbits is >2,000 mg/kg.I wouldn't induce emesis but I would encourage eating and drinking in order to dilute however much of the Preen was ingested.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Ok. Thank you.
You're welcome. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
The dog is fine. Thanks for your help. I have no further questions. And am not interested in any further services.
Thank you for the good update. You may receive an inappropriate follow-up from the site ostensibly sent by me. It wasn't and I apologize in advance should you receive it.