Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience

He was vomiting up each meal undigested days, but otherwise

Customer Question

He was vomiting up each meal undigested for 2 days, but otherwise not acting any different. He stopped for a day then had dry heaves before breakfast with some clear mucus coming out. He ate and kept the food down. Now on an empty stomach, he's does the same dry heaving with clear mucus 2 more times, but is keeping all food and water down.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name?
Customer: digest what?
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the dog?
Customer: 17 mos old 65 lb dog
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 5 months ago.
Hi. Welcome to Just Answer. My name is***** I'm sorry to hear about this situation with your guy. What breed is he? Has he been through his vaccines with your vet? When was he last seen by your vet?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I was told he is lab/hound mix and he looks to have pitbull in him also. He just received his one year vaccinations. He came neutered, chipped and with puppy vaccinations a year ago.
Thank you for that information. This type of situation is always a confusing one. Sometimes the "dry heaving" is actually vomiting. Sometimes it is actually coughing. With him keeping the food and water down, it would make me suspicious for coughing. If it is coughing, could it be kennel cough or some other lung issue? What would be the best thing to help your vet out in this situation is to video what you're seeing so they can definitely see what the events are that you're seeing. If it is vomiting, then they will pursue a work up of that. If it is coughing, then they will go down that path.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
If it is kennel cough, is it typical to only cough once a day or every other day?
I wouldn't say that coughing once a day to every other day sounds like kennel cough. They typically are coughing much more with obvious cases of it.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
What other coughing could it be then?
If it is that infrequent, it seems less likely to be coughing. A video of what he's doing may be very key here.