Doc Sara
Doc Sara, Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a dog and cat veterinarian with a lifetime of experience in our family veterinary hospital.
23511967

I have a 3month old frenchie she has a tickerly cough first

Customer Question

I have a 3month old frenchie she has a tickerly cough first thing in a morning and when running had her to the vets temp is fine gums are pink eating and drinking well heart and lungs are fine she gave me a course of antibiotics on the third day today and still there i just feel she is missing something just thought i would ask you for a 2nd opinion cheers chris
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Coughing can be worrying. The Veterinarian will know what you should do. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Its not all the time tho like kennel cough. She is called lexa
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Leax?
Customer: Nope told her everything she is due her next lot of vaccines now but not going to do it until she is a 100%
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Doc Sara replied 7 months ago.
Hi Chris, I'm Dr. Sara. I'm a licensed veterinarian who works exclusively with dogs and cats. I'm sorry to hear that Lexa has had a cough in the mornings. I will do my best to help. In a young otherwise healthy dog who develops a cough but is still eating, drinking, peeing, pooping, and acting normally, I am most suspicious of an infectious cough. Saying "my dog has kennel cough" is a lot like saying "I have a cold" - we don't know exactly what infectious agent is causing it, but for the majority of us, it makes you feel crappy for a while and then it passes. The same types of infectious respiratory diseases can happen in dogs - where they cough and potentially have other signs like sneezing, etc, and they get over it own their own. Sometimes the cough lingers for weeks, but I don't get worried as long as it's steadily improving (even if it's very gradual). The red flags to look for that would indicate we need veterinary care are extreme lethargy, high fever (over 103 rectally), not eating or drinking, any sort of labored or distressed breathing, or coughing up green or yellow mucus. Since most of these end up being viral, I don't always prescribe antibiotics, however if the cough is severe enough for my clients to bring their pets in for an exam, I usually do send at least cough suppressants. If he's been any other dogs lately, such as at a dog park, doggy daycare, pet store, or groomer, then I'd suspect he was exposed there. Having said that, I see many dogs who have no obvious or known exposure to other dogs - these diseases are airborne and stick to clothing and are very contagious, so direct contact with other dogs isn't mandatory to catch one. A young pup is in and out of the vet hospital frequently getting vaccines - this would be a prime place to pick up a respiratory bug.Young pups also can have a mild cough from migrating intestinal parasites. Part of the life cycle of the common intestinal parasites in dogs is to migrate through the lungs, which sometimes can cause a mild cough. Routine deworming done at wellness visits followed by monthly treatment with a parasite preventive product like Heartgard or Interceptor will take care of any GI parasite issues. There's an off chance that a cough in a young dog could be a sign of tracheal collapse or a heart condition, but these are uncommon. Keep an eye out for those "red flag" items I mentioned and keep your vet in the loop on how she is doing. Please let me know what questions I can handle for you.~Dr. Sara ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------My goal is to provide you with the most complete and accurate “five star” answer. If my answer isn’t what you were expecting, it’s incomplete, or you have more questions PLEASE REPLY to let me know what information you are looking for BEFORE giving me a negative rating! If my answer has been helpful to you, please show me by giving me a favorable rating. Thank you so much :)
Expert:  Doc Sara replied 7 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Doc Sara