Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

Good morning. I am fostering a 13 year old female ***** *****

Customer Question

Good morning. I am fostering a 13 year old female ***** ***** terrier with a pronounced heart murmur.
She has a gum tumor on her upper left gums, near the front of her mouth that is large enough to lift her lip slightly, doesn't appear to cause any pain or eating problems.
Since I'm fostering, and her heart murmur and age, and the $1000 the vet wants to remove it, is there anything hloistically that I can give her or topically apply to shrink it?
I had a small one surgically removed from my Great Dane in December, but that too was $1000.
A friend of mine said to check with a holistic get to see if there is something topical or herbal that might help shrink it a bit.
Or can you refer me to a holistic vet in Orange County, California?
Thank you for your time.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.
Heretic that I am, I want you to save your money and time by not trying to find anything other than surgical intervention for these tumors. You've described either a peripheral odontogenic fibroma, a giant cell epulis, or acanthomatous ameloblastoma. None of these respond to conservative therapy whether it be allopathic or naturopathic. The primary goal of treatment remains complete tumor removal with mimimal functional and cosmetic compromise. If you prefer to see a naturopath, please contact the Southern California Veterinary Medical Association for a referral to such a vet near you. (http://www.scvma.org/)Please note that holistic means treating the entire body while considering a specific disorder. You may be thinking of homeopathic which I consider akin to snake oil. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What about putting a 13 year old dog with a heart murmur under anesthesia? I'm concerned she won't come out of it.
It's a common misconception that anesthesia must be avoided in patients with heart murmurs. A proper work up of the heart condition tells me how I need to alter (not avoid) my anesthetic protocol. Very few patients mustn't be anesthetized and those might be disassociated ("spaced out"), instead, with agents such as dexmedetomidine (Dexdomitor, e.g.). Please continue our conversation if you wish.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Okay. Thank you.I've been using the same vet for years, but of late, everything cost $500 plus. I was thinking they were just trying to generate income.Have a nice day and thank you.
I remember when gas was 29 cents a gallon and I got 5X blue chip stamps. You'e quite welcome. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you. Based upon your answers, I have scheduled my little foster girl for surgery next Friday.Have a great weekend.
You're welcome! Thank you for letting me know. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience.
Hi Sheree Carscadden,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Nikki. How is everything going?