Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in surgery and internal medicine.
16881297

My dog occasionally does a rythmatic heave and vomits, its

Customer Question

my dog occasionally does a rythmatic heave and vomits, its never bloody or worms or anything, he does it maybe once every 3 months, is it something to be real concerned about, its a 2yr old Australian sheperd
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did your dog eat anything unusual?
Customer: not that I know of, live on a farm so he runs free sometimes
JA: OK. The Veterinarian will know what to do. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about your dog?
Customer: no it just happens every couple months, he may throw up 2-3 times in 4 hrs or so, then seems fine
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 1 year ago.
Good Morning and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question. Young dogs will ingest lots of odd things especially if your guy is free to run on a farm. This can cause this vomiting to release the odd thing that he has ingested. This is nothing to be concerned about. It is better to not allow him to run free but that is hard to do when you have lots of land and Aussie's love to run. My Aussie would do this also when we were riding horses and he would ingest something dead or something that will make him nauseous. The only other thing that I can think of is that there is a condition called a REverse Sneeze that will cause some odd heaving , sometimes ending in vomit. This LINK will demonstrate what this sounds like...if this sounds like what your dog is doing, this is still not harmful and there is no treatment except perhaps Benadryl at 1 mg per pound every 12 hrs since this is related to an allergic reaction. LINK Does that make sense to you? Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you. Sincerely, ***** *****