Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.

Drinking excessively..then throwing it up JA: I'm sorry to

Customer Question

drinking excessively..then throwing it up
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What sort of animal are we talking about?
Customer: mini schnauzer
JA: OK. Problems with drinking can be serious. I'm glad you noticed it. The Veterinarian will know what to do. What is the schnauzer's name and age?
Customer: opie and he is 7
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Opie?
Customer: he does seem depressed...lethargic
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 5 months ago.
Welcome! Thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian and I will be assisting you today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice. 1- How long has this been going on? 2- Any pre existing medical conditions? 3- Did he get into anything? 4- Is he on any medications?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
couple weeks preexisting poisons in my house..only naturalstuff
Please give me a few minutes to type your answer. Thank you.
Friend, when a dog drinks more water than usual it is a sign an underlying medical problem as you already know. There are many possible causes. It will be difficult for me to determine the exact underlying cause without a hands on examination and some testing. But, common causes are: An active infection, hormonal disorders (diabetes, cushing's), kidney or liver disease and even cancer to name a few causes. In order to pinpoint the exact underlying cause Opie will need to have blood work (chemistry profile, T4 & CBC) and urinalysis as initial screening test. Treatment will be determined by clinical and diagnostic findings. So for example, if he is a diabetic he will need insulin; if he has an infection he will be treated with antibiotics, etc. So, the first place to start to determine the exact underlying cause besides a hands on examination is some testing as described above. If cost is a concern look into your local ASPCA or Shelter where they often offer veterinary services at a lower cost. My goal is to provide you with excellent service - I hope I've provided the information you were seeking, if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
kind of told me what i already know. was just trying to avoid a trip in to vet. opie is not car friendly
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
any natural items i can give to aleve problem?
I realize that this answer may not be entirely to your liking, and I regret being the bearer of information that you really don’t want to hear. But it would be unfair to you and unprofessional of me were I to provide you with anything less than truthful and honest information. I hope you understand. As described above, in order to establish a treatment plan for Opie first you need to know what is the cause. No, there are no natural treatment that would correct the problem.