Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.

My terrier has a spot about the size of a quarter on the tip

Customer Question

My terrier has a spot about the size of a quarter on the tip of her ear that is puffed out. What can I use. Is it a Hemotomy? Or something like that. Could it be caused by ear infection or mites or?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. There are all sorts of infestations your terrier can pick up. I'll have you talk to the Veterinarian who'll sort out what is wrong and help you decide what to do about it. What is the terrier's name and age?
Customer: Her name is***** rescued her back 4 or 5 years ago. Think she is around 8 yrs old.??
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Sadie?
Customer: She has always had a pink chin and tummy, like maybe she has and is allergic to grass or something. She is a happy dog and always her tail is wagging. She is well behaved and is a lot of company to me after my husband passed away.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 5 months ago.
Hello, my name is***** and I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian. I'm sorry to hear about your girl Sadie's swollen ear tip. It sounds like she has some allergic tendencies with her pink chin and tummy.Does this swelling feel like a water balloon?Has she been shaking her head?Does she now or has she ever had an ear infection?Does it look like the dog in this link below? (can be smaller but this will give you a general idea) If so then this is likely an ear hematoma. This happens when a blood vessel in the ear breaks and the area inside the ear flap fills with blood.It is usually from them shaking their head/ears repeatedly from an ear infection.But sometimes they just shake their head a few times, hit the ear on something and a blood vessel breaks leading to bleeding. If it is very small (nickel size) it may heal on its own just fine as the blood is reabsorbed.You can apply a cool compress for 5 to 10 minutes at a time to the swollen area the first 24 to 48 hours, then pat dry and apply cortisone cream (like cortaid) twice daily to help reduce inflammation.After 48 hours try a warm compress rather than cold to speed healing and improve circulation and then cortisone ointment. But if it's larger then it may need to be drained and/or sutured so it doesn't refill.If you notice any odor or increased waxy debris then she may have an early infection which started all this, and then she should definitely see her veterinarian for proper treatment no matter that size of the swelling is. If she is scratching at her ear quite a bit or seems bothered by the swelling you can give her Benadryl (diphenhydramine) at a dose of 1mg to 2mgs per pound of body weight orally every 8 hours (one 25mg tabs per 15 to 25 pounds of body weight every 8 hours). This will reduce allergic itchiness and can make her sleepy which should help her leave the ear alone.If she is rubbing the ear or scratching at it placing an elizabethan (lampshade) collar is recommended so she doesn't further traumatize her ear, which could enlarge the hematoma.Please let me know if you have any further questions.
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 5 months ago.
Hello, I wanted to make sure that you didn't have any further questions for me, and I'd like to know how things turned out for your pup. If you could give me an update that would be great, thank you, ***** *****