Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in surgery and internal medicine.
16881297

Sudden onset skin inflammation around mouth and on back.

Customer Question

Sudden onset skin inflammation around mouth and on back. She's a 7 1/2 year old female spayed yorkie. On her back she has a relatively large area of skin that has a yellow tint/dandruff. When I look at the area it seemed to be extremely itchy and the hair was thinner in this area. Around her mouthshe has an area that is extremely red with intermittent black spots. Initially I thought it may be "flea dirt" but I just combed her from front to tail and no fleas or "flea dirt". She has those black spots on her back as well as some inflamed pustules. Im concerned it may be mange but Im not sure? I have another dog in the apartment- he's itchy as well, no signs of fleas, his skin isn't broken out like hers
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 7 months ago.
Good Morning and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question. I fear that your sweet Bella may be suffering from 2 different conditions. Since she is itchy, this could be either an allergic reaction causing the scratching that causes more irritation of the skin or an infection. It is unlikely mange because the distribution is not consistent with mange. The other condition that is common in older Yorkies is a hypothyroid condition that affects the skin condition. Have your vet examine Bella, run a skin scraping, blood work including a thyroid panel. If there is an allergic reaction, that could be anything, steroids can be given to decrease the itching and decrease the irritation. Thyroid supplements , if Bella is hypothyroid, will help resolve this condition. Thanks for the pictures That really helps. Does that make sense to you? Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you. Sincerely, ***** *****

I'm just following up on our conversation about Bella. How is everything going?

Dr. Loretta