Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience

I just got a 9 week old pit he got his shots since Sunday

Customer Question

I just got a 9 week old pit he got his shots since Sunday he's had water diarrhea and his stomach is blotted
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Handsum
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Handsome?
Customer: No he seems fine help plats out side with other dogs
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 5 months ago.
I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. Please let me know if you still need help. Worming would be my initial approach to such a pup even if a fecal ova and parasite exam didn't find any parasites; that test is too often falsely negative. You can dose Handsum with an over the counter wormer containing either pyrantel pamoate or fenbendazole (Panacur). Pyrantel pamoate should be repeated in two weeks. Fenbendazole is dosed for three consecutive days and the three day course can be repeated in a month.What has his diet consisted of? Were there any major changes to it?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
His diet went from Purina puppy to petagre puppy food dry and water I'm only giving him a small hand full in am and another at dinner mostly because of how bloated he was.. his tummy has gone down a little... it's OK to worm him with all the diarrhea in am I am giving some pedilite. Thank u so much will let u know his progress .
Perhaps the diet was changed too quickly. It's best to change from one to another over a period of a week. Yes, it's OK to worm now. The wormers I mentioned aren't purgatives and so aren't expected to cause more diarrhea. You're welcome. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience.