Jess K
Jess K, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Licensed Veterinarian
89827615

I have an 11 year old lab mix male neutered. In the last year

Customer Question

I have an 11 year old lab mix male neutered. In the last year he has bitten my son's dog 4 times and just this weekend, bit my female dog. All bites have drawn blood and 1 a trip to the emergency vet.
He plays with the dogs that he has bitten on a daily basis. The bites do not seem to be toy or food driven (jealousy) as this last one there was no toy or food around.
I have considered putting him down so the other dogs can be safe around him at all times. We are expecting a grandchild and I will be very reluctant to have him around the baby at all even though he has never shown aggression to any person.
He still has a lot of life left in him as he plays with people and the dogs daily.
I have also considered keeping him in a soft muzzle, but I read it is not recommended. Any suggestions on what I can do.
He has a torn ACL and is getting arthritic. On the days that he bit the other dogs, he did not show signs of being in pain, but I am thinking that may be a possibility.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Jess K replied 7 months ago.
Hello, this is Dr. Jess. I am very sorry to hear about your situation. In a case such as this, with repeated bites and significant injury occurring, I would HIGHLY recommend seeing a veterinary behaviorist. This is a problem that is going to require a behaviorist to examine your dog and discuss in depth his behaviors at home, his history, etc., and formulate a detailed treatment plan for you, that may involve behavior modification and sometimes medication. I see you live in Indiana, and there are a few veterinary behaviorists there. They include: Sara L. Bennett, DVM, MS, DACVB (Veterinary Behavior Specialist)http://www.drbennettbehavior.com/Email:***@******.***:(###) ###-####vansville, IN 47714United States and Purdue Universityhttp://www.vet.purdue.edu/vth/small-animal/behavior-medicine.phpEmail:***@******.***:(###) ###-####ax: (765)(###) ###-####Harrison StreetWest Lafayette, IN 47907United States