Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

I have 2 great pyraneese dogs, one of them is getting skin

Customer Question

I have 2 great pyraneese dogs, one of them is getting skin lesions. we have taken him to the local vet who thinks its a food alergy. This has been going on for 10-11 months now,we have tried alot of different recomended foods and thats not working.Steroids aren't working. Al the other meds arent either. vet insists its not parasite related and wont prescribe meds for parasites. we live on a farm where contact with wild canines is inevitable, please help!
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Jess K replied 7 months ago.
Hello, this is Dr. Jess. I am so sorry to hear about your dog!! It sounds very frustrating! I have a few questions for you,Has the vet done skin scrapes to test for mites and ringworm cultures to test for ringworm?Is your dog on a flea preventative?Have you tried a home made diet yet, or have you just tried commercial diets? Which ones?Has your vet discussed allergy testing?Has your vet discussed or tried the drugs Atopica or Apoquel?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
no to the first 2 questions, yes to home made diet, commercial food vet sells, has talked about allergy testing but there is no place within*****for that. and have not heard of the last two drugs. I'm sorry to say this but I cant afford the 100 dollar dog food and the 100-200 dollar a month pills, if we cant find something soon I'm going to have to put him down. this has been going on for a long time, hes not scratching or showing any signs of pain or irratation.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I have heard of dogs getting parasites from fox feces, and heard of mange what would cure that.
Expert:  Jess K replied 7 months ago.
Your vet should be able to do a skin scrape, which is what is needed to check for mange. The kind of mange that is contagious (sarcoptic mange) would be affecting both dogs, so that is unlikely, but there is another mange- demodectic mange- which is not contagious so can affect just one dog. It is treated with a drug called ivermectin. Your vet should be able to do allergy testing themselves by drawing blood and sending it out to a lab- you don't need a dermatologist to do this, it can be done at any regular vet's office, they just need to contact the allergy lab to send the blood to, and the lab can do the testing. My clinic used the VARL lab http://www.varlallergy.com/, which your vet can contact to get information on prices and how to submit the blood. As I said, this doesn't require any special equipment or anything, so your vet should be able to do it. What kind of homemade diet have you tried and how long did you use it for? Was there any improvement? Was that diet the ONLY thing the dog was getting to eat? No treats or pieces of another dog or cats food?