Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.
11877925

Our dog is a mixed breed and was very active when we found

Customer Question

Our dog is a mixed breed and was very active when we found him. He has in the past 3-4 years been gaining extreme weight. He's been tested and treated for thyroid even though the test came back negative. He has also been tested for Cushings and that came back negative. He is only 7years old and of course now he is having trouble walking carrying all this weight. He eats less than my other dogs. Is there something they are missing when checking him. It is like he ballooned overnight.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Rebecca replied 7 months ago.
Hello, I am sorry to hear you are worried about your dog. It is worrying to see a dog become overweight, because we know that it raises his risk for arthritis and chronic diseases. Do you know what test was done to check for hypothyroidism? I usually send a full panel to the endocrinology lab in Michigan when I want to check for this condition, and do not just run a single test for "T4". I see he was also treated; what did he get? Any diarrhea; what are his stools like? Can you tell me what he eats in a typical day (what dog food, how much, treats and table food; be honest!! I won't judge!)? How old is he?
Expert:  Rebecca replied 7 months ago.
I hope you were able to see what I wrote. Can I answer anything else?