Dr-Bonk, Veterinarian
Experience:  Five years as a veterinarian working with man's best friend. Have worked with pets, hunting and herding dogs, hounds, and breeders.

MY grand puppy is 10 yeras old.. he walks on 3 legs

Customer Question

MY grand puppy is 10 yeras old.. he walks on 3 legs for he tore his ACL on the right side. surgery is very expensive. I want to help him. Any other alternative device like a brace that will be helpful?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr-Bonk replied 5 months ago.
Hi, I'm Dr. Bonk. I'm very sorry to hear about your dog's troubles. ACL tears are very common and you are absolutely right, the surgery is way too expensive! There are many braces out there. I really like the Cruciate Care Knee Brace by Ortho Dog, because not only does it support the injured knee, but it also helps support the back and hips to help prevent injury to the other knee. You can find them at: http://www.orthodog.comThere are also a number of braces available that are just strictly for the knee. These can be custom fitted so they should be comfortable for the dog to wear. They can be more expensive, and again, they provide no protection for the other knee. One option is at: http://www.mypetsbrace.comAlso, be sure to be giving him a glucosamine supplement to help prevent arthritis and use an antiinflammatory such as Rimadyl or Previcox as needed for pain. Keeping him fairly calm will help too. This means leash walks or swimming for exercise. No jumping or quick-burst running. This is especially important once the inflammation tones down and he gets to feeling better on that knee.I hope this helps. Please contact me with any further questions you may have. Thank you and good luck!
Expert:  Dr-Bonk replied 5 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?