Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

My dog is old but he has been doing good.He likes to sleep

Customer Question

My dog is old but he has been doing good.He likes to sleep right next to the woodstove from a puppy. The past few days he ha been sneezed and blood came out of his nose. can it be from dryness from the wood stove. After that no more blood. Hes 14 yrs. aus. sherp and blu. heeler
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 9 months ago.
Mary Ann, it's certainly possible that dry mucous membranes inside his nose or sinus(es) have bled but the most common cause of epistaxis (bloody nose) in a 14 year old is neoplasia - cancer in the nasal cavity and/or sinus(es). Less commonly, I'll find thrombocytopenia (decreased numbers of blood platelets) or an anticoagulant rodenticide posioning. If you don't see epistaxis again, there's no need to puruse a diagnosis but if you do, a complete blood count including a hand count of the platelets should be performed and if nothing untoward is seen, scoping and biopsy of his nose +/- X-rays of his upper respiratory tract would be necessary to clarify the diagnosis.Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.