Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience

My 2-year old Chihuahua woke up this morning unable to walk

Customer Question

My 2-year old Chihuahua woke up this morning unable to walk and is shaking has eaten some dried Raisin Bran with no raisins put him outside and he just sit there
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name?
Customer: His name is ***** ***** a half Chihuahua half rat terrier and he hadn't even gotten up to play with his toys he's really hard dick I gave him some maple syrup in case his blood sugar was low
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Hank?
Customer: Oh yes about 2 months ago he had an episode all day and not wear his head with Bob One Direction right and left right and left and he didn't eat all day and couldn't stop and less we would cover his eyes almost like he was having a seizure but it was constant he didn't eat just his head was going back and forth
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
His back and seems to be giving him a little bit of problem he's kind of wine and now one more touching his legs he's down in his back end we just need to know what we can give him
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 5 months ago.
Can you clarify for me if Hank is paralyzed (can't stand), paretic (can stand but is weak), or can stand and walk but doesn't want to? The episode two months ago described idiopathic (unknown cause) head tremors which may be confused for focal seizures. They're often precipitated by excitement or particular head positions and owners may describe a characteristic "yes" or "no" movement of the head and normal consciousness. Mentation (mental status) and gait remain normal during episodes. You've described a "no" movement. I regret that my state board of veterinary examiners doesn't allow me to speak to customers by phone in this venue but other experts in this category may be able to assist you in this regard. Please let me know if you'd like another expert to do so and I'll opt out of this question. Please stay in this conversation if you wish.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
This way is fine to talk,he can, he can stand on his legs but his back legs seem to be giving him problems his front legs seem okay he shaking and he seems a little warm
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
He started acting this way early this morning about 3 o'clock and he hasn't been up running around chasing his toys it almost seems like his legs are hurting his back legs and when we kind of messed with him he doesn't want a little bit but he is letting us touch him not aggressive he's just really lethargic and it's scaring me that he can't or won't walk right now
Thank you for the additional information. Both encephalopathy (brain disorder such as granulomatous meningoencephalitis (GME) which is addressed with a combination of glucocorticosteroid and chemotherapeutic drugs - an important differential diagnosis in a miniature dog) and myelopathy (spinal cord disorder such as degenerative disk disease - a "slipped disk" - another important differential diagnosis in a miniature dog) need to be considered. You can administer aspirin at a dose of 10 mg/lb with food at 12 hour intervals but he should be attended to by his vet at your earliest convenience. The vet can treat with more potent nonsteroidal antiinflammatory drugs (NSAIDS such as carprofen or meloxciam) as well as narcotic analgesia (tramadol) and skeletal muscle relaxants (methocarbamol, diazepam). You'll need to keep him very quiet and not encourage his moving around lest he hurt himself further. Time is of the essence if his spinal cord is being compressed by a disk. See if you can have him attended to soon.Please continue our conversation if you wish.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I cannot afford a veterinarian right now so he's going to need a non-steroid anti-inflammatory is there something I can give him right now to leave you a little bit of his pain
Yes, aspirin dosed at 10 mg/lb with food at 12 hour intervals is your best choice. You must avoid the toxic ibuprofen and naproxen. Acetaminophen is OK at 7 mg/lb thrice daily but it's not antiinflammatory as is aspirin.Your other post was marked as a duplicate so you wouldn't be charged twice. Tramadol can be dosed at 2-5 mg/lb up to every 8 hours. Avoid doxepin which is toxic to dogs too.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
So basically he has some herniated disc if I'm understanding you right and spinal cord disorders what would cause that he was playing and having a good time last night and then when it was time to go to bed after you sleepy just seem to not be right after he woke up we have Doxepin my mother has meloxicam and the Tramadol 7.5 milligram and what anti-inflammatory could we give him
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Should we get him under a heating pad or Elevate any part of his legs I have herniated disc so I do know the pain he's in but I'm trying to figure out what would have caused that all of the sudden
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Do we need to get him something to make sure he doesn't get dehydrated like Pedialyte or Powerade or something like that
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Also when he is laying down his hind leg is sticking up I will try to send a picture but it's sticking up and kind of jerking on its own as he lay on his side
It's considered a degenerative disease in dogs and genetically pre-programmed to occur. You can see if heat affords him comfort by reducing the muscle spasms that occur with you know. Most dogs will continue to eat and drink if their food and water is readily available to them. There's no harm in administering a pediatric fluid and electrolyte replacer to him if you think he's not eating or drinking enough. I'd like to see a photo or, better yet, a video. You can upload one by using the paperclip icon in the toolbar above your message box (if you can see the icon) or you can use an external app such as You'd need to upload a video to YouTube (or similar app) and then give me the link to it.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
You said meloxicam my mother has 7.5 milligrams can we cut that in half for him for his stiffness arthritis if that's what it is
It's very difficult to dose down human meloxicam to an appropriate dose for a miniature dog. The initial dose is 0.1 mg/lb followed by 0.05 mg/lb once daily. (Half of 7.5 mg would be quite an overdose.)
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Thank you so much for all your help I will video ham and upload it hopefully so you can actually see him I sure do appreciate all your your knowledge thank you so much
You're quite welcome. I'll watch for your next post. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation rather than opening up a new question - even after rating - with an update at your convenience.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?