Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)
15010675

He is cold to the touch limp when I hold him and has shallow

Customer Question

He is cold to the touch limp when I hold him and has shallow breathing. Looking dazed and confused but still alert.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?
Customer: There is nothing
JA: What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Smokey and he is about 1 and a half
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Smokey?
Customer: He has seizures
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 10 months ago.
Hello. What kind of dog is this?How long has he been like this?Any other signs- vomiting? diarrhea? coughing?Is he still eating?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Chihuahua.
Two to three days.
My wife has been giving him pedi lite and chicken noodle soup in a syringe.
Any vomiting/ diarrhea?Is he vaccinated?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
No none of that. He was rescued.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
He looks like he is confused. Like he is in a daze.
Ok. Given his age and breed, I would worry about a low blood glucose. This can be secondary to poor nutrition, parasites or even a liver shunt. I would absolutely get some bloodwork run on him.Here is a good link on liver shunts:http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&S=0&C=0&A=2533And one on hypoglycemia (low blood sugar):http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&S=0&C=0&A=2085 The other thing that is worth considering is hydrocephalus or water on the brain. This is also common in chihuahuas. It's usually diagnosed based on exam or ultrasound of the head through an open fontanel. The treatment is with a shunt placement if found. I would start with some bloodwork and then go from there. An ER vet would be advised given his poor responsiveness. I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Thanks
You're welcome.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?