Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.
53976849

JA: . How can we be of help? Customer: My dog

Customer Question

JA: Hello. How can we be of help?
Customer: My dog got a mole on his leg recently
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?
Customer: No there is no other wound on his leg
JA: The Veterinarian will ask you more detailed questions to find out what is causing this. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: His name is Buster
JA: How old is Buster?
Customer: 9 yr old bull mastiff
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Buster?
Customer: No I don't think so
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Customer: It looks like within a wk the mole got a little bit bigger and now it looks like there is blood in it
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 10 months ago.
Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman happy to assist you both today!I am happy to evaluate a new lump that your Buster has with a photograph attached via the paperclip on your screen but any new lump should be evaluated by your veterinarian. In order to determine if they are benign (noncancerous) lumps versus malignant (cancerous) lumps is to have your veterinarian evaluate and aspirate (poke with a needle) the lumps to evaluate the material under the microscopeThis is really the only way to differentiate the concerning from the non concerning lumps definitively because a cancerous versus a noncancerous lump can appear identical on presentationEvaluation under the microscope will be looking at the lump at a cellular level. Do the cells look normal, is it sebaceous or oil material that is benign or even fatty material indicating a lipoma or are the cells abnormal in appearance? This information is critical in order to diagnose the lump origin and whether it should be removed sooner versus laterSome tell tale signs that a lump might be more of a concern include whether it is rapidly growing, it is bothersome (scratching, licking), it is not easily picked up from the underlying tissue indicating it is attached to the muscle layer. This can be helpful but not 100 % definitive as a fine needle aspiration would beI always advise photographing the lump with a ruler or coin next to the lump to measure the size weekly or in dark skinned dogs where it is not as readily viewable measuring with a ruler on a regular basis Please let me know if this information makes sense and any additional questions I can assist with today If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION at the top of your screen (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!
Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today, I am online another 15 minutes If you are satisfied with our chat please rate or accept with the stars on the top of your screen so I may be compensated for my time. If you are having any difficulties you can also state your rating (excellent, good, fair) in our chat as an alternative. Thank you!