Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience

My 2 pound dog just ate 1/2 of a coreg pill 25 my

Customer Question

My 2 pound dog just ate 1/2 of a coreg pill 25 my for whole pill
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the dog?
Customer: 11 weeks old
JA: What is the dog's name?
Customer: Boca
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 5 months ago.
Athough the LD50 (the dose that killed 50% of rats) is a very high 8000 mg/kg for carvedilol and Boca ingested 12.5 mg/kg that overdose can cause hypotension, cardiac insufficiency, bradycardia (slow heart rate), cardiogenic shock and death due to cardiac arrest. Gut emptying should be considered and that's done by administering 1/2 of a measuring teaspoon (2.5 mL) of 3% hydrogen peroxide by means of an eyedropper placed between Boca's cheek teeth and cheek. Boca should vomit within 15 minutes. If not, the same dose should be repeated. Please keep me posted.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
She hasn't thrown up yet but she is laying down
If she doesn't vomit after two doses you have two choices - watchful wait and bring her to an ER to be treated if she becomes symptomatic (extreme lethargy, ataxia ("drunken sailor")) or bring her to an ER now to be given injectable apomorphine which will induce emesis. I favor the latter because she ingested an overdose of 40X. 0.3 mg/kg is the recommended initial dose of this drug in dogs.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I gave her 1.0 ml of hydrogen peroxide by mouth the first time. Was that enough
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
It's been about 25 minutes since she swallowed . Should I give her.more hydrogen peroxide
2.5 mL was needed and that's the amount that needs to be given once again.
I have to leave my computer for the night so I'll opt out which will allow another expert to enter our conversation should you need to consult further.