Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.
53976849

My yorkie ate a little deoxidizer from a dream bone treat package.

Customer Question

My yorkie ate a little deoxidizer from a dream bone treat package. Please advise.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Merle 1 yr old
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Merle?
Customer: No. He is acting fine just concerned
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 7 months ago.
Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today!I apologize an expert has not been in to assist you yet tonight. If you are referring to a silica gel pack (like the kind used to keep moisture out of things like beef jerky or dog treats), then you're in luck. They are not toxic, so any portion that she ate should pass with no problems. They have to put a disclaimer on the package so children do not eat it and choke on it. It has to be food safe since it is put in with jerky as well as other food sources. The only think I would be concerned with is a blockage if your dog is a small breed dog and had ingested the entire packet but since that is not the case we should be just fine :) The only concern is if this is an iron oxidizing preservative but these typically are not in treats but more in shoes or other nonperishable items... Watch for vomiting, diarrhea, constipation and abdominal distress which can be signs of a blockage in the intestines if more was ingested than originally believed. If you see any of these signs, you need to get her to a vet for an x-ray and possible surgical removal of the packet. But since this seems to be a small amount ingested our concern for obstruction is very minimal... I hope this helps but please let me know how else I can assist you both today! I am online just a few more moments this evening... If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. Altman..." or "Dogdoc4u..." and others will leave the questions for me. Good luck to you both!!!
Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today, I am online another 15 minutes If you are satisfied with our chat please rate or accept with the stars on the top of your screen so I may be compensated for my time. If you are having any difficulties you can also state your rating (excellent, good, fair) in our chat as an alternative. Thank you!

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Altman