Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.

My doxie has had diarea four days. She has to go

Customer Question

My doxie has had diarea for about four days. She has to go about every hour day and night. Is there any meds that we can give her to help?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 5 months ago.
Welcome! Thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian and I will be assisting you today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice. 1- Any blood in the stool? 2- Any pre existing medical conditions? 3- Is she on any medications? 4- Any vomiting? 5- Did she get into anything? 6- How much does she weigh? 7- Any other symptoms?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
no blood, no medical conditions, no medications, no vomiting, not that we know of, 37 lbs, no other symptoms.
Please give me a few minutes to type your answer. Thank you.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Friend, diarrhea can be caused by many different medical conditions. It will be difficult for me to determine the exact underlying cause without a hands on examination and some testing. But, common causes are: Dietary indiscretion, ingestion of a foreign body, infections, or even part of a systemic disease to name a few causes. This is what you can try:1- Pepto bismol 1 teaspoon every 8 hours for 1-2 days. 2- No food or water for 8-12 hours, need to give her gastrointestinal tract time to rest. Then, offer small amount of water followed by a diet of rice (75%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (25%) until the stool is back to normal then wean her back into her regular diet. Keep her indoors in a cool room and no exercise when fasting. 3- Supplement with a probiotic (fortiflora), these are friendly bacteria that help with regularity. You can buy this over the counter in any pet store. 4- If after doing the above you do not see improvement within 24 hours I would have her checked by your family veterinarian for a hands on examination. My goal is to provide you with excellent service - I hope I've provided the information you were seeking, if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done.

I'm just following up on our conversation about Cocoa. How is everything going?

Dr. Peter