Dr B
Dr B, Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM

We have a golden retriever who had a fall on the kitchen floor,

Customer Question

We have a golden retriever who had a fall on the kitchen floor, and now will not even try to go up or down the stairs, and we feel that he may be anxious about another fall. Is this possible? We have a split level home and a family room finished downstairs, however, we obviously would like to have him come upstairs with us on the main floor. Buddy is 13 yrs. of age, and we have had him since he was a pup. Please, if there is anything we can do to allay
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr B replied 5 months ago.
HI this is DRB and I would be happy to help you with this. It is possible that the fall caused fear but much more likely your dog is in pain. I am trained in pain and rehab and I can tell you that ALL dogs your dogs age have arthritis......when your dog fell it probably just made him alot more sore. Is your dog on anything for pain?If not he should be placed on PS-GAG injections which you can learn to give at home and these can actually be given under the skin(SQ) which many vets do not know. Also your dog' kidneys and liver need to be tested and have him put on Metacam liquid once daily. After 3 weeks with this protocol I bet your dog will start going up and down stairs again.....please let me know if you need additional help. Sincerely, ***** ***** rate my service as that is the only way I am compensated for my answers. A positive rating will not close this question and I am happy to answer follow up questions. Thank you very much!
Expert:  Dr B replied 5 months ago.
Please let me know if you need additional help. DRB