Doc Sara
Doc Sara, Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a dog and cat veterinarian with a lifetime of experience in our family veterinary hospital.

I have 4 month puppies who are suddenly sick. There noses are

Customer Question

I have 4 month puppies who are suddenly sick. There noses are dry and warm. They won't drink or eat. 1 did lick some wet food for me. What can I give them to help with the fever. I am forcing water down there thoughts only 4 tbls at a time. 2 move around a little bit and even barked for the first time since sunday. One is not moving around unless I go out there .
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. It could be an infection. The Veterinarian will know what to do. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Only 2 have names Sam and dozer. The mother is in the yard with them and she is fine
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Sam?
Customer: We have not got there shots yet they were resucued from a house were they lived inside since birth. They were filthy and had worms. I have since got them clean and healthy. I have only had them for a month. They were playing with kid's on Saturday by Sunday they were sick. I did see 1 throw up yesterday
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Doc Sara replied 5 months ago.
Hi there, I'm Dr. Sara. I'm a licensed veterinarian who works exclusively with dogs and cats. I'm sorry to hear that your puppies aren't well - I will do my best to help. Any time we have young dogs who are not eating well, possibly vomiting, and acting lethargic, I'm afraid that parvovirus is a big concern. Parvovirus is ubiquitous, meaning that it is all over the environment and very easily spread from dog to dog through objects like our shoes, clothes, and hands. Parvovirus is a life threatening viral infection that attacks rapidly dividing cells like those in the gut and the bone marrow. It typically causes severe diarrhea and vomiting which is followed by life threatening dehydration and then a low white blood cell count caused by the infection in the bone marrow. The low white blood cell count allows them to be open to secondary bacterial infections and sepsis. With most parvo puppies, oral rehydration doesn't work well because they vomit it back up. If they are keeping down the water you're giving you could switch over to an electrolyte solution like pedialyte, which may help rehydrate them in a more balanced fashion. You mention wanting to give them something for a fever - did you take a rectal temperature? If you haven't yet done so, I would suggest doing that before considering any treatments for a fever. A fever is the body's way of fighting off an infection, so to some extent it is something that we don't specifically treat. The only exception would be in the case of very high fevers like those over 105. There are a myriad of viruses and parasitic diseases that can cause a young pup to be a bit lethargic and off their food - it doesn't necessarily have to be parvo. In the case of a mild stomach virus, they would be feeling better on their own within a day. If they're very lethargic, unable to keep any food or water down, or not eating for more than 24 hours, then I would suggest having them examined ASAP. Babies don't have the capacity to withstand illness as well or as long as an adult, so timely treatment will help them bounce back and potentially avoid serious complications.Please let me know what questions I can handle for you.~Dr. Sara ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------My goal is to provide you with the most complete and accurate “five star” answer. If my answer isn’t what you were expecting, it’s incomplete, or you have more questions PLEASE REPLY to let me know what information you are looking for BEFORE giving me a negative rating! If my answer has been helpful to you, please show me by giving me a favorable rating. Thank you so much :)
Expert:  Doc Sara replied 5 months ago.
Hi Karen,

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Doc Sara