Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  I have been a practicing veterinarian for over 30 years.
60411192

My 7 yr old lab just ppassed bloody mucus stool 2 X any help

Customer Question

my 7 yr old lab just ppassed bloody mucus stool 2 X any help to make her fell better
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Harley
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Harley?
Customer: nope she has been fine dad feed her pizza bones last night and she still has not ate her brekfast
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 7 months ago.
Hello, I'm Dr. Deb and will do my best to help you today. I'm sorry for this concern for Harley. I do have several suggestions which, hopefully, will help with her loose stools. Please give me a minute to type up a response to you. Deb
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 7 months ago.
While the presence of blood (and mucous) in a dog's stool can be of concern, it doesn't necessarily have to be alarming. In most cases, it simply reflects an irritated colon and nothing more unless there's a profuse amount of it. Then, this could be quite serious and the patient should be seen as soon as possible.But, if you're just seeing a relatively small amount of blood, then there could be several possible explanations which range from internal parasites to IBD to dietary indiscretion (the food she was fed last night) to viral/bacterial infections. Regardless, if Harley otherwise acting fine, then you may be able to treat her symptomatically for a few days and she will get past this. 1. Feed a bland diet of 1 part boiled, skinless, boneless chicken (or hamburg) to 4 parts 20-minute white rice. Feed only a small amount of one time, 3-4 times through the day. I would not feed any regular dog food.2. If she is not currently taking any aspirin or nsaid products and is not vomiting, then you can give Regular Strength Pepto Bismol. The dose would be 1 ml per 10 lbs of body weight 2-3 times a day. . For example, if she weighs 50 lbs, then you would give 5 mls or one teaspoon at one dose.Pepto bismol should not be given to vomiting dogs since it contains salicylates (the active ingredient in Aspirin) which can irritate the stomach.It can also turn the stools a grey/green color.3. I'd start her on a good quality, canine probiotic such as Forti Flora or Resources Protegrity GI. These products can be extremely useful for gastrointestinal issues (and to help strengthen the immune system as well). They may be available at local pet/grain stores or can be purchased online. 4. Over the counter Pedialyte can be offered instead of or in addition to water which can help to replace electrolytes lost in the loose stools. It is possible that she will need stronger anti-diarrheal drugs from your vet if the stool doesn't start to firm up within a day or so; if that's the case or if she becomes lethargic, starts to vomit or doesn't want to eat, then a vet visit may be prudent. I hope this helps and that you see improvement soon. Deb
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 7 months ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Deb