Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.

My dog has eaten grass with barbs on it and she is gagging

Customer Question

My dog has eaten grass with barbs on it and she is gagging and making raspy breathing sounds. Have given her water, milk, and foid, but all make the gagging worse. This happened last spring and she needed steroids to reduce inflammation. It just happened. Hoping to do something before it gets inflamed. She is 4 pounds.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if your dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Lexi
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Lexi?
Customer: Healthy otherwise, but likes to eat grass.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 5 months ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help. This is not an uncommon situation. As you noted, grass can be barbed and it can irritate, inflame, and even get caught in the throat. And I must note that based on Lexi's signs and worsening with what you have used thus far, we would already be concerned about mild inflammation and may need to think about ringing her vet for dog safe anti-inflammatories (ie Metacam, Rimadyl, Previcox, etc) to nip this in the bud before it gets to a point where she needs steroids. Otherwise and in the meantime, I would suggest one more home care option. To reduce and soothe this throat, you can try giving a mild cough suppressant. Commonly we will give a few millilitres of plain honey & glycerin cough syrup or plain honey. These can be given as often as needed. Alternatively, you could use Robitussin DM at a dose of 1 milligram per pound of body weight every 8 hours. Of course, do make sure to only use this and avoid any with pet toxic cold medications (ie acetaminophen, paracetamol, ibuprofen caffeine, alcohol, or pseudoephedrine) here. But these can help reduce irritation in the throat if that is all that is present thus far and may be able to get her settled before we need to consider anti-inflammatories from her vet. Please take care,Dr. B. -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )