Ronald Reupert
Ronald Reupert,
Experience:  Owner from 1994 until 2010 at Animal Health Care-North LTD

My dog has a red, scaly, itchy rash on his belly.

Customer Question

Hello. My dog has a red, scaly, itchy rash on his belly. Some of the spots are round with crust around the edges.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Using the wrong medication for fleas can be dangerous. You should definitely talk to the Veterinarian. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: I don't do flea medication. His name is ***** ***** he is a 4 year old golden retriever.
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Snoop?
Customer: No. Nothing else I can think of. Current on all shots, we feed him trout and salmon meal formula and he drinks filtered water. I have taken him off poultry and other meats because he has always had itchy skin. I only bathe him about every 3 weeks or so with an oatmeal shampoo.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Ronald Reupert replied 5 months ago.
Hi...this is Dr. Reupert. You are giving me a very good description of a superficial staph infection. These are not contagious to people. Goldens seem to be more prone to these. An oral antibiotic like Cephalexin usually cures the in 7-10 days, but you could try a benzoyl peroxide OTC shampoo first. Some times can lead to a more aggressive infection known as a "hot spot". If you shampoo, try to get him as dry as possible afterwards.
If you can, post a picture
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Thanks for getting back to me. I have had a busy couple of days so getting back to you and I have attached a picture of his tummy. It looks a little better. I have been just putting a little coconut oil on his skin. Please let me know if the picture helps or if I can include more info but he is still itchy!
That picture does look fairly characteristic for a low-grade staph infection. I would recommend twice weekly bathing of the area where benzoyl peroxide shampoo. Allow to remain on for 10 minutes. Before rinsing, gently massage the crusts off. Dry well afterwards. You should see improvement in 24 hrs. Continue for 3 to 4 weeks.
Incomplete resolution may indicate using oral cephalexin at 10 mg per pound every 12 hrs.