Jess K
Jess K, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Licensed Veterinarian
89827615

My dog is has been vomiting and has had diarrhea since last

Customer Question

My dog is has been vomiting and has had diarrhea since last night. It is watery. He is not wanting to do much of anything
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did your dog eat anything unusual?
Customer: He got loose for like five mins so I don't know
JA: What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: El Chapo 6 months
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Chian?
Customer: No the stuff he threw up was like dark a muddy brown yellow
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Jess K replied 7 months ago.
Hello, this is Dr. Jess. I am very sorry to hear about your dog. Can you tell me has he continued to vomit today? How many times has he vomited today?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Once earlier and had diarrhea it looked like muddy water from a puddle with a yellow tinge
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
What can I give him
Expert:  Jess K replied 7 months ago.
Ok. Can you tell me, has your dog had several rounds of his puppy vaccinations already?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
No
Expert:  Jess K replied 7 months ago.
The problem with vomiting is that it can be very difficult to treat at home, because if they are actively vomiting, anything we give them orally is going to come back up, causing further irritation and dehydration. Because he is a young dog, my recommendation would be to bring him in to your vet for an exam and they can give him injectable medication to help stop the vomiting and fluids under the skin to help the dehydration. Since he hasn't completed his vaccines, I would also recommend testing him for parvovirus which can cause vomiting and diarrhea and can become life threatening if untreated. They can also be sure he doesn't have intestinal parasites or signs of a foreign body (we worry in young dogs that they have eaten something like a toy or sock that has gotten stuck in the GI tract). So the safest thing to do is bring him in. If you cannot get him in today, then I would recommend fasting him for a period of 6 to 8 hours- no food or water- nothing orally. If he can go that long without vomiting, then you can start to slowly reintroduce fluids- water or pedialyte- 1 teaspoon per pound of body weight- every few hours. If he starts vomiting again, you must take him in to the vet. If he keeps this down, then you can start to offer SMALL Amounts of cooked white rice and shredded boiled chicken breast. Small meals are better to begin with. Once again, if he starts vomiting again, he must be seen, especially important because of his age. Here is an article that describes this fasting/refeeding: http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&S=0&C=0&A=353. If the vomiting stops, but diarrhea continues I would still recommend a vet visit for the diarrhea because intestinal parasites are so common in young dogs. The bland diet may help with the diarrhea. You can also start her on a probiotic for dogs. Your vet's office probably has these, as do many pet stores. The pet store or your local Tractor Supply or Farm and Home also are likely to carry an antidiarrheal medication containing kaolin and pectin such as this one:http://www.petco.com/shop/en/petcostore/lambert-kay-pet-pectillin-diarrhea-medication-for-dogs-cats-and-birds.Please let me know if you have any other questions. If you do not, please take a moment to CLICK AND RATE our conversation so we can know if you were satisfied with your service and I can get credit for helping to answer your questions. Thank you and good luck!
Expert:  Jess K replied 7 months ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Jessica Keay
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
He passed we took him to a vet brought him home and he passed
Expert:  Jess K replied 7 months ago.
I am so very sorry to hear about your loss. It is always so sad to lose a dog so young. Did they figure out what was wrong with him?