Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience

JA: . What is your issue regarding? Customer: I gave

Customer Question

JA: Hi. What is your issue regarding?
Customer: I gave my dog liquid med yesterday and since then she has been coughing on and off
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Coughing can be worrying. The Veterinarian will know what you should do. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: She just tried barking and started coughing
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about your dog?
Customer: Dafnee and she is 6
JA: What is the dog's name?
Customer: She was released yesterday after being treated for hge
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 5 months ago.
I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. My primary concern is that the liquid medication may have been aspirated and an aspiration pneumonia arose. This can be determined with X-rays. Hopefully, the medication simply irritated Dafnee's oropharynx (back of her throat) and the coughing will abate quickly. It's also possible that the medication is a red herring and Dafnee contracted a nosocomial respiratory infection while hospitalized. What was the medication please? May I have an update on Dafnee, please?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
The medication was flagyl. I called the vet on tuesday and they said it sounded like an upper respiratory infection because she was also boarded for 7 days last week. The vet added doxycline on top of the flagyl; she started that tuesday night. She is still coughing and at the end of a few coughs she gags. It is happening less but it seems like it happens when she becomes happens.
Thank you for the update. A nosocomial respiratory infection, then, often due to the feline herpesvirus (FHV-1). When either Chlamydophila or Mycoplasma bacteria are involved in the infection, doxycycline can be helpful. Most of these cats remiss unaided within 1-3 weeks. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience.