PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
Experience:  15 yrs experience in vet med, 8 in emergency med. Founder of a non-profit animal rescue
8538164

He had a seizure. Hes never haf one before. Hes 3 JA: I'm

Customer Question

He had a seizure. Hes never haf one before. Hes 3
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Seizures always look scary. Let's get you talking to the Veterinarian. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Bear
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Bear?
Customer: No. Theres nothing out of the ordinary
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 7 months ago.
Hello and thank you for your question. It appears that the Expert you were hoping to speak with is not currently available. I have stepped in to assist you in their absence so that you have a prompt reply to your question. If you would rather wait for the Expert you had originally contacted, just let me know. Otherwise, I’ll be happy to assist you today. Is it possible for me to obtain some additional information from you about your companion?1) How long ago was the seizure? 2) How long did this one last? 3) Can you describe what happened, please? 4) Any history of toxin ingestion or trauma?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
It was 3 hours ago and lasted 15 secs approximately. We were awakened ti the flopping sound. He lost his bladder but not bowels. He was lathargic. He did not get into anything. No head trauma since he was a puppy. He hit his head under the table which made his eye set bac . Thats the only injury. He hasnt eaten anything toxic or any different food.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Do i need to rush him to the vet or do we watch to see if he even has anymore. He is acting pretty normal now.
It will take me about 5 minutes to type a detailed response out for you. I'll be right back.
That most certainly does sound like seizure activity. That sounds like a terrible thing to wake up to! You do not need to rush him to the vet unless he's in the throes of seizure activity but it would be wise to have blood work performed on him to be sure that he does not have any values that are out of kilter and causing this seizure activity. The majority of dogs have idiopathic (no obvious cause) seizure activity and if his seizures persist he will need to be placed on anti-convulsant therapy. You need to begin a log of when they've happened and how long they've lasted so you can report back to your veterinarian in the future. If he has another seizure today, I would not hesitate to get him to the ER. If he does not, he can likely wait to see your vet this coming week. The hitting of his head under the table may have been enough trauma to predispose him to this seizure activity, but since he's 3 it will be smart to rule out other causes. Did my response help to answer all of the questions that you had regarding your companion? If you have other questions, please reply and I’ll help you further.Once you're satisfied with our dialogue, please take the time to using the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. Until this is done, I will not be compensated for helping you today.
Hi Juliette. Checking in to see how Bear is doing.
Hi Juliette,

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

PitRottMommy