Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  I have been a practicing veterinarian for over 30 years.

How long can you give a 0.1ml bentyl to a 4.5 lb yorkie that

Customer Question

how long can you give a 0.1ml bentyl to a 4.5 lb yorkie that was having spastic colon which it resolved?
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is wrong with the dog?
Customer: chronic diarhea, spasms, reacted badly to flagyl originally advised by vet
JA: Where does the dog seem to hurt?
Customer: bentyl is not in the vet pdr
JA: OK. No obvious pain. Can you see anything that looks wrong or different?
Customer: doesn't hurt
JA: What is the dog's name?
Customer: no
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the dog?
Customer: has appetite...just chronic diarhea
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 5 months ago.
Hello, I'm Dr. Deb.I recently came online and see that your question about your dog hasn't been answered. I'm so sorry that you've had to wait for a response, but if you still need assistance, I'd like to help if I can. It certainly sounds as if your Yorkie has Irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) or Spastic Colon which is a commonly diagnosed but poorly understood gastrointestinal disorder.Anticholinergic agents such as Bentyl (dicylamine) can be used but they can decrease or inhibit GI motility which may worsen diarrhea; therefore, they should only be used only for short periods...primarily during a flare-up but shouldn't be given chronically. I'm not sure what other treatments may be given to your dog but I'll share what's listed in a veterinary based website monograph on the condition:1. Because symptoms and timing of episodes are so variable, response to treatment is sometimes unpredictable. Treatment is usually in a trial and error fashion and generally includes, either individually or in combination: dietary modification and use of fiber supplementation, antidiarrheal drugs, anticholinergics, and/or tranquilizers. Most patients can be managed successfully with dietary adjustments and intermittent pharmacotherapy.2. Elimination of stressful events is important if such events can be identified.3. Sulfasalazine: Patients with significant dyschezia and increased evacuation of small volumes of loose, mucoid stool may benefit from sulfasalazine. It can be used in combination with loperamide or clidinium.4. Patients with abdominal pain (cramping, bloating, assuming an arched-back stance, reluctance to move, loud abdominal gurgling sounds) are treated with combination antispasmodic-tranquilizer preparations.Chlordiazepoxide (5 mg) and clidinium (2.5 mg) are combined in a capsule preparation Librax (Roche). The dose is based on the clidinium component (0.1-0.25 mg/kg every 8-12 hr) which is an anticholinergic agent. Chlordiazepoxide is a centrally acting sedative, benzodiazepine and a smooth muscle relaxant that is effective in relieving discomfort associated with increased colonic motor function. Librax is generally used on a short-term basis (1 day to 2 weeks), and clients are instructed to administer it at the first sign of cramping or abdominal pain. Occasionally, long-term use is necessary (one to two doses a day).5. Other anticholinergic agents (in addition to Bentyl) which can be used for short periods of time include:Propantheline: 0.25 mg/kg every 8-12 hrsHyoscyamine: 0.0003-0.0006 mg/kg every 8-12 hrsDiiphenoxylate (Lomotil): 0.1-0.2 mg/kg every 8 hrLoperamide (Imodium): 0.08-0.1-0.2 mg/kg every 8-12 hr. Some patients may respond better to loperamide and clidinium/chlordiazepoxide used concurrently. Note that collies and related breeds may be overly sensitive to loperamide. Additional supportive care: 1. Cage rest will frequently stop the diarrhea when antidiarrheals do not. Keep stress and new situations to a minimum. Feed in quiet surroundings without competition from others. 2. H2 blockers may be added to clidinium or isopropamide to help control IBS-related nausea or vomiting.famotidine: 0.25-0.5 mg/lb once a day I hope this helps although, again, my apologies for the delayed reply. Deb
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 5 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Deb