Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience

Shallow breathing, still gets up to go drink and go outside.

Customer Question

JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What sort of animal are we talking about?
Customer: 12 yr old toy chihuahua
JA: OK. What is the chihuahua's name?
Customer: Sugar
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Sugar?
Customer: I don't believe so, she vomited clear with grass in it yesterday
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 5 months ago.
I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. I don't a lot to go on but "shallow breathing" in a 12 year old Chihuahua concerns me for congestive heart failure (particularly if a heart murmur had been heard previously), sterile bronchitis (chronic obstructive pulmonary disease), or perhaps neoplasia (cancer) in the chest cavity. I need you to check Sugar's vital signs for me, please...1) Check her gum and tongue color. They should be nicely pink - not whitish (anemia) or bluish/greyish (cyanosis/hypoxia/lack of oxygen to her tissues).2) Check her respiratory rate at rest. She should be taking less than 30 breaths/minute at rest.3) Take her rectal temperature. Any body thermometer will do when placed 1.5" into his rectum for 1 minute. Normal is 100.5-102.5F. This is a two person job!Please let me know what you find. Because her breathing can represent life-threatening disorders, it would be prudent to have her attended to by her vet at your earliest convenience regardless of the findings above. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I believe she's got poisoning from heartguard meds
Which med was administered and was it in excess? If so, how much was applied or ingested?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Heartgard, and the 0-25 pound dog amount, she did this last month but her vet said give it to her again
The amount of ivermectin in Heartgard is so small that I can give 100 times the amount of it when treating manges in dogs. That doesn't mean that Sugar couldn't experience an idiosyncratic (peculiar) reaction, however, and if that's the case it should never be administered again. May I have an update on Sugar, please?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
She's not running fever and she's peeing and drinking water. Just slow going like us if we where sick
Her malaise is worrisome but not pathognomonic (specifically indicative) of any one particular disorder. Did you assess her respiratory rate while she was asleep or at rest?