Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

Her eye looks swollen. We are not sure why. She was in the

Customer Question

Her eye looks swollen. We are not sure why. She was in the back with the horses. My husband gave her LA-200.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Melody
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Melody?
Customer: She can't jump and she is walking with a limp. When she got the med she started scratching both ears and shaking her head a lots.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 8 months ago.
I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner, Beryl. It certainly sounds as if a horse kicked Melody but without my performing a thorough physical exam I can't assess injury properly. I can take a look at the swollen eye if you can upload a close-up photo of it to our conversation. You can use the paperclip icon (if you can see such an icon) or an external app such as dropbox.com/ There's no reason to adminsiter an antibiotic such as LA-200 unless an open wound was found and even then it's not a good choice of antibiotic. If anything were administered at home, aspirin dosed at 10 mg/lb with food twice daily would be reasonable. Ideally, Melody should have her vet give her a good once over particularly because an eye is involved and eyes can "go south" in a hurry.Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.
Hi Beryl Southall,

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?