Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience

My 11/12 yr old Mini Pin was weighing in at 34 lbs in 1/2016

Customer Question

My 11/12 yr old Mini Pin was weighing in at 34 lbs in 1/2016 and by 4/2016 he weighed in at 12 1/2 lbs. Took him to vet and they took xrays and did a sonogram to see why he looks like a deprived, helpless, homeless dog and we were present through everything the vet went over and he showed us his organs are fine no cancer or tumors. All organs are of perfect tone and everything so we decided maybe do the deworming injections and his appetite is normal he still has his spunk and everything so what could be overlooked to cause this to happen cuz he has always been a healthy, well built dog?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 5 months ago.
I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. Something was missed if a dog loses 65% of its body weight. I see that X-rays and a sonogram were performed. Were diagnostics in the form of blood and urine tests performed? If so, can you upload a copy of his test results to our conversation? I understand that you might not have a copy at home but his vet vet can give you one which you can scan into your computer and then give me the file link or you can photograph the pages and upload them by using the paperclip icon above your message box (if you can see the icon) or by using an external app such as I admit, however, that a 34 lb min Pin was an obese min Pin and should have lost weight for his health...but not to that extent unless he were purposefully placed on a very restrictive weight-loss diet.