Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience

Weak and shivering- 3 year old shih-tzu 9-10 pounds JA: I'll

Customer Question

weak and shivering- 3 year old shih-tzu 9-10 pounds
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is the matter with the dog?
Customer: Weak, shivering
JA: Where does the dog seem to hurt?
Customer: can't find any external injuries or sensitive spots.
JA: What is the dog's name?
Customer: Kate
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Kate?
Customer: Unusually energetic for a her breed-- but just tired and shivering tonight. Started about 90 minutes ago
JA: Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Veterinarian will know how to help Kate. OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 5 months ago.
Hello, my name is***** and I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian. I'm sorry to hear that Kate seems weak, lethargic, and is shaking.These are pretty indistinct symptoms. Shaking can be a sign of fever and chills. But it can also be related to pain, fear or muscle tremors due to low blood sugar or some sort of electrolyte or mineral imbalance.Does she have a fever (rectal temperature greater than 103F)?Likewise lethargy can be related to systemic illness or pain.Is she eating and drinking normally?Any vomiting or diarrhea?If you lift her lip and look at her gums are they a nice bubblegum pink or are they very pale pink or white?Do her gums feel smooth or are they sticky?Perhaps if you can give me some more information I can give you some possible reasons for her behavior and some things to do for her.