Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.

My shiba inu just ate 5 carvedilol each 6.25 mg JA: I'm sorry

Customer Question

my shiba inu just ate 5 carvedilol each 6.25 mg
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Thad
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Thad?
Customer: he looking oke
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 5 months ago.
Hello, my name is***** and I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian. I am sorry to hear that your pup ate something he should not have.Carvedilol is a beta-blocker heart medication that can drop his blood pressure dangerously.Rather than waiting to figure out how much of an over dose this is let's try to induce vomiting. Induce vomiting by giving him 3% hydrogen peroxide at a dose of 1 tablespoon per 10 pounds of body (no more than 3 tablespoons even if he is more than 35 pounds) directly orally, or mixed with a little ice cream or bread chunks, then take him out and run him around to get the peroxide fizzing.If no vomiting in 10 minutes repeat the peroxide dose once.I'll be back with more information, but I want you to induce vomiting as quickly as possible.If you do not have peroxide getting him to an emergency clinic to induce vomiting is best.Also if you could tell me your fellow's weight I can figure out how toxic this is for him.
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 5 months ago.
The usual dose of this drug in dogs is 0.15–0.25 mg/kg, twice daily. We can give as much as 1 mg/kg, but we need to work up to that dose.He ingested 31.25mgs (5 X 6.25mgs = 31.25mgs). So if he weighs less than 31.25kgs (68.75 lbs, as there are 2.2 pounds per kilogram, 31.25 kgs X 2.2 lbs per kg = 68.75 lbs), then he ate a higher than recommended dose.The toxic dose of Carvedilol which may lead to sinus arrest (heart stops beating) is 3mg per kilogram or 1.36mgs per pound of body weight. If your fellow weighs less than 23 pounds he ate a potentially lethal dose. (31.25mgs/1.36mgs per pound of body weight = 23 pounds).If he doesn't vomit the tablets, or you don't have peroxide then he must be seen on an emergency basis if he weighs 23 pounds or less.Symptoms of a less than lethal, but still toxic, dose include weakness, low heart rate, poor perfusion (blue gray or very pale gum color), vomiting, diarrhea, low blood pressure, and possible seizures.Please let me know if you have any further questions.Please let me know if you have any further questions.