Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

My dog has raised humps all over her body and little red "pimples"

Customer Question

My dog has raised humps all over her body and little red "pimples" on her stomach inside of her legs
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?
Customer: No wounds and that was supposed to read raised bumps not humps
JA: The Veterinarian will ask you more detailed questions to find out what is causing this. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Nala she is a pitbull. She is 7 yrs old.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Naal?
Customer: She had demodex(?) after she had a litter but that was 5 yrs ago.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.
I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. You're likely to be describing a superficial spreading pyoderma (a Staph infection, usually) and there may be furuncles (boils) present as well (those "humps") indicating a deeper pyoderma. Pit Bulls can develop particulary difficult pyodermas to treat necessitating very long terms (up to 6 months or even indefinitely in some case) of the appropriate antibiotic. Because Nala also has a history of demodicosis, her vet should skin scrape her looking to see if an adult-onset demodicosis underlies Nala's pyoderma.Can you upload a photo(s) of representative skin to our conversation? You can use the paperclip icon in the toolbar above your message box (if you can see the icon) or you can use an external app such as dropbox.com/ I can be more accurate for you if I can see what you're seeing.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I uploaded the best pictures I could.
Thank you! I can't see under her hair to know if those bumps represent an urticarial reaction (hives and wheals) or the bumps indicate bacterial infection. Because you're seeing pustules on her hairless skin, however, I would think infection is more likely. Nala's vet will want to see Nala's skin. I expect testing to include a cytology - microscopic exam of a small sample of Nala's skin surface looking for abnormal numbers of bacteria and yeast, skin scrapings to see if an underlying demodicosis exists, and then the appropriate therapy prescribed predicated upon the results of testing - a systemic antibiotic as I mentioned above plus an antimicrobial shampoo containing either chlorhexidine or benzoyl peroxide. Please continue our conversation if you wish.