Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

Just found out 2 weeks ago that my 10 yr old Pyrenees has an

Customer Question

Just found out 2 weeks ago that my 10 yr old Pyrenees has an osteosarcoma on his front right wrist/ankle joint. He has a slight lameness to his walk but otherwise does not act like he feels all that bad yet. The local vets said that full limb amputation is the most common protocol in these situations. But since he's a very large dog, I think amputation would be much too difficult for him, and I do not want to go that route. I'm meeting with a board-certified canine oncologist next week to discuss options, which will most likely include chemo treatments. However, I've heard of wonderful, even miraculous results from family friends suffering from severe cancer who have completely recovered from the disease by taking a drug called isoprinosine. It's widely used in Europe, Canada & Mexico for treating cancer, but for some reason, it's not FDA approved in the USA.
Since many of the regular canine cancer medicines are the same as what humans take, is there a chance that isoprinosine could treat my dog's cancer, or at least help counteract some of the negative side effects of chemotherapy? My dog's quality of life is of upmost importance to me & I want him to enjoy the remainder of his life as much as possible. Thank you!
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 1 year ago.
Hi. Welcome to Just Answer. My name is***** I'm very sorry to hear about this situation with Chuy. Osteosarcoma situations are extremely frustrating. I can absolutely understand your not wanting to go down the amputation route. It is a procedure that can get more time for that pet, but the ability to get around after the procedure can be a little more challenging for some. I've seen numerous ones come through my ER that have had a forelimb amputation and they can learn to get around pretty darn well in most cases though. Here is a good link on osteosarcomas that I wanted you to have for further reference.http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&S=0&C=0&A=1035At this time, there isn't any good literature on the use of isoprinosine with canine osteosarcomas. You can talk to the boarded oncologist to see what protocols they have at this time that meet your expectations and give Chuy the best quality of life.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.