Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience

My dog is 15 years old and has started to lick himself and

Customer Question

My dog is 15 years old and has started to lick himself and is not eating his dog food. I have been preparing eggs and cutting up small pieces of chicken which does eat. It's the licking of his fit and not eating that concerns me. I know he is old but has been my buddy for 15 years. What can I do please.
Thank you
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 5 months ago.
I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. Fred's licking himself and anorexia are important symptoms but they're not pathognomonic (specifically indicative) of any one particular disorder. I know that you didn't come here to be told that you need to bring Fred to his vet but that's just what needs to be done. At his advanced age he doesn't have the reserve of a much younger dog and so anything untoward can represent life-threatening disorder; thus, time is of the essence. His vet needs to perform a thorough physical exam including diagnostics in the form of blood and urine tests +/- imaging with X-rays or ultrasound to be able to tell you if Fred can be helped in a reasonably conservative manner. I understand that advanced diagnostics and invasive therapies aren't appropriate at his age.Please respond with additional information and further questions or concerns if you wish.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Excellent and thank you
You're quite welcome. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience.