Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.

She has runny diarrhea, eye and ear discharge . She doesn't

Customer Question

She has runny diarrhea, eye and ear discharge . She doesn't appear to feel sick. She is still playful and eating well
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Coco. She is 13 weeks
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Coco?
Customer: No
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 5 months ago.
Welcome! Thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian and I will be assisting you today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice. 1- What breed is she? 2- How long has this been going on? 3- Can you describe the appearance of the eye and ear discharge?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
She is a maltise/poodle. Her diarrhea has been on and off for about 2 weeks since I changed her food. The discharge is a greenish color and started about 2 days ago
In the ear the discharge is also greenish?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Yes both ear and eyes. She is still playful and eating as well
Friend, the greenish color suggest that she has an infection that will require topical antibiotics. In the meantime, flush and clean the eyes and ears of all discharge with luke warm water and gauze, do this 2-3 times a day or as needed. As far as the diarrhea certainly it can be related to the diet. Other possible causes are infections, intestinal parasites, etc. In this case, I would recommend a hands on examination with family vet, she will need antibiotics from your vet in the meantime this is what you can do for the diarrhea: 1- Do not give things like Pepto Bismol or imodium. You see, stopping the diarrhea with medication can make things worst if this is related to an infection or ingestion of a foreign body. 2- Change her diet to rice (75%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (25%) until the stool is back to normal then wean her back into her regular diet. 3- Supplement with a probiotic (fortiflora), these are friendly bacteria that help with regularity. You can buy this over the counter in any pet store. 4- Follow up with your family veterinarian for a hands on examination. My goal is to provide you with excellent service - I hope I've provided the information you were seeking, if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Peter